By David Callif, CEO/Owner of BCM Inks
Today I’m sitting in front of my laptop computer in BCM Inks’ conference room. It’s been almost a year since I’ve had face to face conversations with customers (Zoom doesn’t count!) or attended any trade association meetings. Rather than feel negative, I feel fortunate.
In my opinion, our industry, the corrugated packaging industry, responded to the pandemic in an unprecedented manner. We found ways to keep our employees safe while producing essential and necessary products. We met tight production times and supply shortages. Bottom line: We delivered.
The question we now face is “What’s Next?” Microsoft’s CEO Satya Nadella summed it up best “What we have witnessed over the past year is the dawn of a second wave of digital transformation sweeping every company and every industry.”
This means we need to transform our companies and ourselves if we are to meet the challenges ahead.
My predictions on some of the future trends/ challenges are listed below.
- The print newsletter era is over. I have been writing a newsletter for over 20 years. (Go to www.bcminks.com and click on The Ink Link E-Newsletter. You might find some helpful tips). This past year I recognized that more people want their news in a different or more condensed format. Therefore, this will be my last formal BCM Inks Ink Link E- newsletter. Instead, I will post on other social media such as LinkedIn and ConneXion App under BCM Inks USA, Inc. with more videos and commentary.
- Sustainable products and practices are more important than ever. They are important in the era of climate change and scarce resources. We need to continue to reduce our carbon footprints, water consumption, and paper usage. I’m pleased to report that BCM Inks is incorporating sustainable solutions into every facet of our business. For example, We offer custom ink blending solutions to fit most companies’ ink volume. We also make some of the most eco-friendly inks and varnishes in the industry. Click here to see our unique offerings.
- Omni channel retailers will be the big winners. Amazon, Walmart, Target, etc. found the key to success during the pandemic. It is not just offering product via ecommerce. It is having the distribution channels from bricks and mortar stores to distribution centers. It’s the ability to provide same day service via lockers, curbside service, or various delivery options.
- Mobile devices will become the single most important business adaptation. All employees will have mobile devices. All business software will be in the palm of everyone’s hand. This will allow businesses to operate 24/7. BCM Inks’ has already started this transition with its MyInkIQ and Color ConneXion®.
- The “Me” generation will ask for more personalized products. This means digital print will become a part of every plant’s product mix.
- Employees and consumers will want to be more protected from the spread of germs/bacteria. The use of sanitizing stations within plants and stores will remain and expand. Companies will develop anti-microbial ( anti-viral and bacterial) coatings which can be applied directly to packages. This will reduce the risk of microbial contamination. BCM Inks is one of the companies in cooperation with others working on an FDA approved water flexo varnish that can be applied during the direct print process.
As the pandemic has shown , the human race has the ability to adapt quickly. Covid-19 has transformed how we conduct business. It’s the companies who can look ahead and respond who will succeed. “What’s Next?” is one of the most important questions we can answer.
Visit BCM Inks at SuperCorr Expo 2021. Booth # 1769
Improve gloss by over 30% versus standard water flexo coatings. Find out about DuaKure here. Find us in the January/February 2021 AICC Box Score Issue.
“Better, better, never done” .
– Mark Hawkins, CFO at SalesForce
Let BCM Inks help you answer “What’s Next?” Contact us at 1-800-678-6238 or email@example.com.